Why You Should Love Dinagsa Festival of Cadiz City


Dinagsa Festival  -  January 25, Sunday. A day every negrense is excited about. Most especially to party goers, students, festival enthusiast and all walks of life.  Dinagsa Festival of Cadiz City is very popular due to its festive and colorful street and paint party.

It’s been more than a year since the devastation of the super typhoon Yolanda hit the Philippines and Cadiz City was one of the affected areas. Although Cadiz was washed by the typhoon, yet there is no reason to fret and stop them from celebrating their very long tradition. That is to give honor to Senior Sto. Nino. Last year celebration was a simple, very fun and colorful. Several activities were lined up to give fun to the visitors and locals as well. 

This year the beautiful city of Cadiz will once again celebrate and commemorate its charter anniversary. Street dancing is one of the most awaited and one of the main highlight during the festivities. I may say that the Dinagsa of Cadiz is one of my favorite festivals here in the province of Negros Occidental. We departed 8:30 am from Silay City using private vehicle. It is approximately one hour and half travel from the city proper of Silay and two hours from Bacolod. Though the weather is not good we still pursue our planned trip. While approaching the city proper of Cadiz heavy rains was thrown to us while we were at the back area of the open multi cab and we were definitely and totally wet. We had no choice but to enjoy and continue. The show must go on after all. It was an hour rain and afterwards the sun showed up. Indeed there is always sunshine after the rain. The rain is only God’s blessing before the party started. So, let me tell you why I love Dinagsa Festival and why you should love it too.

First, its people. I saw how passionate, faithful, persevere and amiable Cadiznon was. I saw the passion of the people because of their long preserved tradition that even catastrophes can’t hinder them to show how faithful they are. One of the best examples is the devastation of super typhoon Yolanda. A month after that incident the local officials decided to continue the traditional Dinagsa Festival which the street dancing was excluded from the list of activities due to budget deficit. The locals participated happily even though there is still heartache and pain that caused by the typhoon. There is no sign of sadness. I saw how happy they are to celebrate the fiesta which is in Honor of the City’s Patron Saint Senior Sto. Nino.  It was indeed a successful celebration. I deeply enjoyed it.



Second was the very colorful paint and street party. To all who have been to Cadiz the paint party is really fun and enjoyable way to meet friends and to interact not only to foreign races but also to locals which strengthens the Filipino relationship. Make sure to wear clothes ready to be painted with different colors. I sometimes saw mosaic designs which comes out after those hands where detached from your shirt. Like what happened to my shirt. I will greatly recommend you wear white shirt if you’re planning to Dinagsa of Cadiz next year. You will surely enjoy the vibrant colors in your white shirt after. I also advise you to get rid from the hordes of friends you have. Why? Because you will be outnumbered by them and surely you will be dingy after they done crumpled your face and body with different paints in their hands. Hahahahaha just like what happened to me yesterday when my fellow Masskara dancers and their friends spot me passing in front of them. I didn’t saw them so I don’t have a chance to get rid of them. But it was really fun seeing them and I missed them so much. One of my friends that I’ve brought to experience Dinagsa yesterday can’t get over from the fun he experienced. He kept on reminiscing it. The streets were filled with different personalities with one purpose to enjoy ang get painted. You should experience it too.



Next is the street dance and arena competition. As a festival enthusiast, every time I am visiting a town fiesta one of the things to do is to see its festival dance. I am a dancer and choreographer so it is really essential for me to see different dance interpretation which is a big thing in choreographer’s world. Concepts, costumes and steps were few reasons why I love watching festival dances. Dinagsa Festival has its own dance concept and interpretation which is similar to Ati-atihan of Aklan, Sinulog of Cebu and Dinagyang of Ilo-ilo. They focus on venerating and honoring Senior Sto. Nino for good harvest and protection He gave. The only concern I saw during yesterday’s street dance was it was not properly organize. The streets which filled with party goers were also the same street where the street dancers will pass by going to the arena area. It was so crowded which causes delayed to show. Another concern is about the area were the arena competition is held. I really saw thousands of people who want to witness the festival dance but the area is narrow.




Lastly is the inspiration they taught me. It really moved me that they show how strong they are. It simply teaches us that whatever trials life has given us there is God who is willing to protect, guide and enlighten us. He is always compassionate and forgiving. Cadiznon will always remain and stand against all odds because they know Senior Sto. Nino will shower them with blessing and protect them from devastation. I really adore their profound faith which open my eyes in many things and enlighten me so much. Sometimes we think life is unfair but we must know that God doesn’t give us burden which we cannot carry. He only wants us to get awaken from this materialistic world and lead us to the right path.

So if you’re looking for the ultimate street party here in Negros Occidental Cadiz City is a must visit during the Dinagsa Festival. Hope to see you next year at the Dinagsa 2016. To those who have been there please share your experience below. I would gladly appreciate!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silay City List of Heritage Houses

Konnichi-WOW: Win a Free Trip to Japan with TravelBook.ph!

Jomax Peak: Experience Sea Of Clouds In Negros